History of New Norfolk
Starting in November 1807 and on through the following year, people from the Norfolk Island penal colony were persuaded to come to Van Diemen's Land by offers of a generous exchange of land (4 acres for each acre held on Norfolk Island), a house of similar standard to that left behind, 2 or 4 convicts to assist them in clearing their new farms, and food and clothing from the stores for 12 months.On the 9th of November 1807, the Lady Nelson sailed from Norfolk Island with the first group of settlers to be relocated at the Derwent. Although it only carried 34 persons, the evacuation had begun in earnest.
Of the new settlers, 24% were located to Sandy Bay, 19% to New Town and Glenorchy, 27% to the eastern shore between Bridgewater and Pittwater and the Clarence Plains area. The remaining 30% came to New Norfolk. New Norfolk was at first known as "The Hills" because of its setting among hills, valleys and gentle streams. In 1811 Governor Macquarie came to visit Van Diemen's Land. He mapped out a town site and named the town "Elizabeth Town" (after his wife) in the District of New Norfolk. The name did not catch on although it was used on and off from 1811 to 1825, but the local settlers, wanting to preserve a link with their old island home, won the day and the town was officially known as "New" Norfolk.